Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Assignment

I saw this assignment on my friend Alison’s blog and thought it might be good for me to do.

Perspective: The way you view the people, places, things, or events in your life.

Activating Activity: Quickly, list the top 10 things you are thankful for.

ME:
1) my sweet husband
2) my precious Carson
3) God
4) amazing team at work
5) a cozy home
6) having a good job
7) sweet doggies
8) the internet
9) DVR
10) The Holiday Season

Discussion: There is NO one on earth who lives a life without pain, sorrow, or some type of negative things in their lives. The above list is filled with things that it is easy to be thankful for. There are other things in our lives that we must deal with pain, sorrow, grief, personal growth, sickness, loneliness and many more! However, the way in which we deal with this problems (problem solving) and to what degree these things affect our lives, depends very much on our perspective of these things.

Activity: MARK OUT YOUR TOP TEN LIST. It is easy to be thankful for those things. Lets see how you do being thankful for things that are not so easy...List the top 5 negative things in YOUR life - right now.

ME:
1) Leaving my baby at daycare
2) the way pregnancy left my body
3) being so tired
4) worry
5) Anger

Challenge: We are going to practice changing our perspective. For each negative thing you listed above complete the following sentence...I am thankful for (the negative thing),because (give a reason.)

ME:
1) I am thankful for Leaving my baby at daycare b/c it means that I have found a daycare with caregivers that I like and trust.
2) I am thankful for the way pregnancy left my body b/c it reminds me of those 9 months that I got to have Carson with me 24/7 and that I am thankful that I was given Carson and that I get to be his mommy, some people don’t get to experience being a parent.
3) I am thankful for being so tired because I have a beautiful, sweet, healthy baby who needs to eat in the middle of the night (and I am thankful that he eats WELL now that we have his reflux pain under control) and who drops his passy a few other times at night) also and I have a good job to go to early in the mornings with a team that needs me to be prompt b/c they depend on me.
4) I am thankful for worry (I worry all the time about every little thing, but that just means I CARE)
5) I am thankful for Anger - I am able to be openly mad/upset about things that bother me, and then move on after my ranting.

Thanks Alison for giving me PERSPECTIVE.

1 comment:

Candace said...

I totally want to do this - what a great way to look at the difficult things in life (trials) and see the good in them. That's just what God wants us to do. James 1:2 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds."