Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Worst day of my life

So I took Carson to daycare for 1/2 a day today to let him and the staff get acquainted, I will be doing this once more this week and 2 or 3 times next week, so that he can get use to the people and the surroundings.

I knew he would do this.............

He woke for the day around 8:30 and was due to eat around 9. I waited until he seemed a little fussy to feed him b/c sometimes he doesn't eat on schedule, he may go 4.5 or even 5 hours between feedings sometimes. And I hate when he only takes a few sips and throws everything out of wack and I have no idea when he wants to eat again. SO OF COURSE he would start this morning (the 1st day of daycare) off like that. He wasn't interested in eating, so I went ahead and took him to daycare and told the teacher that she would just have to wait until he lets her know that he wants to eat, but SHE wanted me to give her a time. I said maybe 11 since he only had a few sips, but just wait and see. They called me around 11:30 asking if there was any "trick" to get him to eat. So I reiterated that some days you just have to wait until he lets you know. All I could picture was him screaming and arching his back, and them trying to force feed him. I told them if he is content with swinging and having his pacifier, to let him be. He will let you know when he is hungry. I told them that he probably needs to poop, and on "poop days" (he doesn't go everyday) he doesn't have much of an appetite. THANK GOD they have swings there b/c I think that is the only thing that will sooth him on days like this (besides me). I forgot to count how many babies were in there, it seemed like a lot. So I called around some other daycares out of curiousity, and the one that only had 5 babies is way to expensive for our budget. I might as well stay home with him, which is not an option.

What made me feel a little better is that my boss is very understanding and I am certain I could work from home some of the time. But when I came home to get some work done, OF COURSE today of all days, my internet card malfunctioned. So I have spent hours on the phone with AT&T. This is so stressful.

While I was on the phone with AT&T my dog vomited on the carpet so I am going to clean that up now, and then try to get some work done, I don't see how I am going to focus. I hate this day.



I went back to get him, since they tried to feed him again and he wouldn't eat. So he stayed from about 10-2. So, he has snacked all day and won't take a full bottle for a while. I counted the babies in there and there were 8 - from what I could tell, it was so chaotic. They have there hands full, I feel so stupid writing an instruction sheet (which I forgot to take) on how to soothe and feed Carson as if they would have time to read it, let alone actually pick him up and give him some attention. I hate this.


Rebecca said...

You know I am here for you whenever you need me. You and Carson will be in my prayers during this time of transition. I am glad he will have a couple more weeks to grow before full time.

Raegan & Caleb said...

Hi. We've not officially met. My name is Raegan. I went to school with your husband. I have found your blog through your sister n laws, Rebecca.

I know this is a hard time for you and Carson. But don't feel silly giving instructions/tips to his caregivers or calling to check on him. He's your child and you know him better than anyone. And truthfully, the nursery workers want to know what works for him. A happy baby makes their lives easier too.

Hang in there. Leaving your child in daycare when you return to work isn't easy.